Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One may feel like trapping wasps when they begin to try entering through the typical hive entrance in late Summer Also scrambling to reduce hive entrances. that's all good; however, in my opinion, that carbohydrate frenzy that begins to peak in September, is often too late to stop hives from sometimes absconding. May I suggest that, if you are not already doing it, start trapping in late March-early April(my area, Middle-West)when over-wintering females begin to hunt for suitable nesting locations.

It is at that time that protein is the food of necessity. When trapping these new nest seekers, we can make a deep penetration into wasp reduction as these new queens start building and feeding the developing fledglings because the young pupae have not yet emerged in vespid species, and in poIistes wasps, differently, often when start-up multiple females work as one becomes the queen, the eggs have not yet completed their metamorphosis.

Placing protein in traps, say with crisp bacon, the newly emerged females will be attracted to the traps. By the late Summer as wasps begin to seek sweets, hives will not likely be overcome and traps can be much more influential when using apple juice, for example, as the attractant with a bit of vinegar added to repel bees.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,644 Posts
I have heard a saying that 1 wasp in the spring is 100 in the fall. I beleive this if you catch some queens in the spring before they can get nests going.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I had zero luck last spring with any bait, meat or fruit or juice. Over the summer apples worked best, and honey-water. Meat failed at all stages. The only problem species were yellow jackets and bumble bees, and the same baits worked for both.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts