Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I had to repair our top-load washing machine, and post-repair I had to watch and wait through a few spin cycles to make sure all was working well.

It got me thinking - this could work well as a honey extractor. I was curious if anyone else has considered or discussed this. I searched through the forum and didnt see any posts to the effect, so now Im wondering if its not such a great idea.

The setup could look like this:
A sealed-lid bucket or pail. Inside of the bucket/pail would be some simple frame work for loading and securing multiple frames. Outside of the bucket/pail would be some more framing that would allow the bucket to be loaded into the washing machine drum, and then adjusted out to brace between the bucket and the machine drum, to keep the bucket centered. Run the machine on a spin-only cycle (or if you dont have that option I guess you could just run a regular cycle w/o soap, the water would stay out of the sealed bucket. Honey pools at the bottom of the sealed bucket.

Depending on the size/shape of the washing machine drum, you could design around a normal 5 gallon bucket, or a 4 sided pail, or whatever other food grade containers you might fit in there.

You'd have a high speed extractor, and when you're done using it it turns back into a machine for washing clothes.

What do yall think? If I get enough enthusiasm in response I'll fire up SolidWorks to get the concept roughed in.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I would suggest doing a search on past posts here on DIY extractors and you will get a feel for the rpm control you will require for the diameter of the cage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts