Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone wash their 5 or 2-gallon buckets before extracting? I usually fill about 20 NEW and some older buckets every year. I wash the older buckets with a hose and cold water and also the new buckets. I go thru so many glass jars that I do not wash them. I used to wash all of my glass jars in the dishwasher but it became too much of a chore. I also noted some plastic buckets are not food grade so I am very careful about where I purchase them.

I have seen many UTUBE videos with professional beeks using some rather ugly 50gallon drums. I wonder if they sanitize them first.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
the used buckets, pull out the rubber gasket from the tops and wash, you will be amazed what's up there on some.

Reactions: Fivej

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,056 Posts
I wash all of my buckets and lids with hot water and rinse well. Be sure to let them air dry good before stacking them up.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
TSP has a good rep as a cleaner without any perfume! Hardware store Tri Sodium Phosphate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know if this pertains to honey, but in home brewing I've done lots of fermenting in 5 gallon food safe pails and have experience with that process. Again, the following might not be important but for instance scratches, even from stiff brushes can harbour lots of microbes and I therefore only ever clean with a soft cloth. For cleaning agents we use PBW - powdered brewery wash which is essentially oxiclean free, and for sanitizing prior to use, Star-san sanitizer - a weak phosphoric acid. Star san makes an iodine version also as previously recommended. With the oxiclean it's really only needed if you see physical dirt so on new pails you wouldn't need it, but the sanitizer is always used just before. And you're totally correct on food safe pails, non food safe pails will totally stink up whatever's in there rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Everything gets washed except plastic bears. I agree that you have to pull the rubber seals, you will be amazed. If you do not wash the outsides, don't stack them.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
45 Posts
Definitely wash buckets before using. I do not wash new mason jars.
After working a summer in a glass jar making factory back in my college days, I wash all jars. They come from molten glass and are sterile, but the factory can have dust and glass powder floating around a bit. Probably not required, but makes me feel assured.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
305 Posts
After working a summer in a glass jar making factory back in my college days, I wash all jars. They come from molten glass and are sterile, but the factory can have dust and glass powder floating around a bit. Probably not required, but makes me feel assured.
Are glass jars inspected before packing? Worked in a baby products factory for six years, plastic bottles were (then) 100% inspected. Inspector / packers typically wore gloves, operators (me) who gave breaks and lunches to the inspector / packers usually did not. Picked them up by sticking my grubby fingers in four at a time... Yes, washing new stuff is highly recommended!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I wash my buckets well after I am done with them for the season, dry thoroughly and seal. The next time I need them, I spray them with starsan, like Vance suggests ,which I use for sterilization of brewing equipment. After one minute, I flip the bucket to drain. It is tasteless and safe to consume in small amounts but will kill most any nasty microbes. J

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are glass jars inspected before packing? ...Yes, washing new stuff is highly recommended!
The jars came of the production line and were mechanically dropped into boxes, unless the box line was clogged and then they rolled onto the floor and shattered. (Couldn’t stop the lines when the molten glass temperature was right).Then they were shipped to the “canneries “ where they were probably inspected before use. So probably fine, but there was normal factory dust and such in the environment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts