Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

The other day I split my hive, rid the colony of its queen. When I went to place some frames with brood from a two desirable hives, I couldn't see any eggs. All I could find was capped brood, and empty cells with some liquid in the base of the cell.

On other occasions, I've actually seen eggs in the base of cells.

My question is this...were there likely eggs in the liquid filled cells? I have heard that they place some liquid in after the queen lays an egg. By the way, the cells I'm referring to were in the middle of the brood nest. Not on the exterior where one would find honey.

The reason for my concern is that before introducing the frames, I destroyed the queen cells from the split hives. This was done so that the bees didn't raise another mean queen. If I there weren't any eggs in that liquid, then I imagine my hives will collapse as there is no stock from which to raise a queen.

Thanks.

DG

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Look good at the liquid in the bottom of the cells, with the sun at your back shining into the cells you should see a very tiny curled larva!

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
In 3 days, you should have q-cells if you had eggs or day old larva. Also, in 3 days, you should have eggs in the donor hive. It will not be too late to rob another frame with eggs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I started to "freak" myself out a bit.

Looking forward to meeting the new queens.

Cheers.

DG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts