Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out to spend an afternoon in the apiary and got to thinking...how many of us have posted "warning", "no spraying the bees", "no trespassing" or "safety" signage?
Our place is fenced with "no trespassing" signs, but am thinking a friendly reminder that there is wild livestock on premises would be a good idea.
Example

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Heading out to spend an afternoon in the apiary and got to thinking...how many of us have posted "warning", "no spraying the bees", "no trespassing" or "safety" signage?
Our place is fenced with "no trespassing" signs, but am thinking a friendly reminder that there is wild livestock on premises would be a good idea.
Example
I have...well, _had_ signage- it blew away during a high-wind event. It will be replaced when the weather warms up a bit. Signs posted about 50 yards from the hives, and another set of signs at the entrance to a break in the trees on the west side of my property- the break in the trees was being used as a trail by snowmobile/atv/dirt-bike riders, some of whom were not particularly respectful of their actions with regard to another's property. I don't want them disturbing the hives...or decapitating themselves on wire fencing. I actually had to resort to putting up a physical barrier, and someone smashed it down. The "new & improved" version 2.0 has stayed up for a couple of years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm in the city, so I'm not keen on signs that would imply to my neighbors that something dangerous and scary is behind my fence. I'd rather they not be afraid and paranoid. That's just my thoughts on my own situation.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Bees aren't dangerous, so I would rather not imply they are by posting "warning" and "caution" signs. Posting "no trespassing" signs around a bee yard just looks paranoid.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Bees aren't dangerous, so I would rather not imply they are by posting "warning" and "caution" signs. Posting "no trespassing" signs around a bee yard just looks paranoid.
Must not be many trespassers in the NorColo area. They are posted for a reason......

I have a scofflaw who ignores them that I'd love to send you currently.

Despite many no trespassing signs we are in the process of "evicting" a mentally ill squatter who decided that bee pallets made great decking for his homemade bridge across the creek on my 25 year yard. Keeps his toes dry when tip toeing from town to his encampment. Not only has he kiped my pallets he has decided that an additional lock on the gate would be a good way to keep me out. Hacksawed it once and the number 2 application is about to get a similar shellacking when we go back to clean up before setting out nucs.

Seeing how all those nucs that are headed your way in May I'm sure the recipients in your neck of the woods would not like it if they had frames missing compliments of my free lunch guy....

At least in California the presence of signs help give the legal authorities the muscle to "remove" people whom one has detained for unlawful access.

I'm always amazed how the attitude of so many free lancing loafers I kick out of the yards seems to change when I tell them that since the think its ok to place their butt on my parcel that the same rule is about to apply when I set up in their kitchen or back yard for a little siesta. The mentality held by the general public that "open space" deserves less respect than "close quarters " baffles me. Property invasion is no different if its a hundred acre parcel or a two bit shack.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have 'no trespassing' signs up around my apiary and out yard. The signs don't imply anything other than keep out. If law enforcement has to become involved, them seeing the signs helps your cause as its posted. My understanding of squatters is once they've left the premises they've given up any rights they might have if they've been there long enough to be considered a tenant. I could be wrong about that but my lawyer buddy was talking about it one night over beers. Might be something to consider if there's a squatter in need of eviction. The same lawyer is the one who told me to post the no trespassing signs.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Michael Bush- that's essentially the tact I'm shooting for...something like this.
Seems to hit on all the right levels and is both reasonable and gets the point across.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
We have a couple of Brushy Mountain signs. There's a "Bee Crossing" sign coming up the driveway and an ominous-looking warning sign on the fenced apiary itself reminding people that bees sting to defend their hives. We put them up to be in compliance with some West Virginia good beekeeping practice guidelines. Comply with those and you gain significant legal protection as beekeepers, so we figured it was worth a few $ to put them up.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Thing with a sign is something like "no trespassing" is like a challenge to some people. Also, something that implies bees are a threat is not necessarily great public relations, for all these reasons I avoid signs.

However I have some bees set up in cooperation with a Maori trust (NZ indigenous people), they wanted signage that would be appropriate for the people of the area and in consultation they made these for me to install, they are non inflammatory and friendly.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I've the "No Tresspassing" "Honey Bee Apiary" sign about 25 yards from my bee yard. Put it up to satisfy the state's good beekeeping practices laws. Plan to put up a couple more this year around the electric fence as well.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
When I used to kept my bees on the local farm I put a fence around the entire
hive. Then put a warning sign on the fence to say "Danger: Keep out. Mean bees."
They are actually the meanest bees I had ever keep. Think they are the africanized ones.
The ants got them though. And I have to start all over again to get the gentle type bees to keep.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Example
Why attract attention?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Is there one that says "Bees are a lot less dangerous than the bullets about to start flying"?

Of course this would have to BEE for the backyard apiary.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Of course people are free to put up whatever signage they desire. And, it could differ from one region to the next, but, in my experience, if someone is going to trespass, they don't care what a sign tacked to a tree says.

I do a lot of hunting, and consequently spend a lot time roaming the forests and prairies. I carry a GPS with a chip that shows all property lines in the state (an electronic plat map), and thus I know where the private property is and I never go on it. In the course of my wanderings, I see all kinds of "no trespassing" signs. Some are ancient, heavily weathered things, which tells me whoever put the sign up 20 years ago no longer cares who crosses the property boundary. Other times I see signs put up every 100 feet along a boundary, and that tells me the property owner is over-the-top paranoid about someone touching his land, and I chuckle to myself because such paranoia can't be enforced by a sign. I also see 'no trespassing" signs on public land, and that tells me that some property owners are greedy or confused and that you can never fully believe privately placed markers. Consequently, it always seems to me the signage is more to satisfy the property owner than to actually deter any would-be trespassers.

As to the bee-warning type signs, those look to me like homing beacons for vandals or thiefs.

But, again, I certainly do acknowledge people are free to put up whatever signs they want, and maybe they work in some cases.

JMHO

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The signs will work well for people who already have a certain amount of respect for other people's property, but for those who think everything is theirs, not so much. So some people will honor the signs, but they most likely wouldn't really be a threat to your property. I could see that they would intimidate some of those who don't have much respect, but not all of them, and I also think that those people who we all fear will do harm would be attracted to the place by the signs. If I were to use signs, I would only use them close to the apiary so it doesn't attract the people that would love to do harm to your property.

I live right next to a partially dirt road that is a great road to get to town when it's dry. Of course, guys who think they own everything have to come out and wreck the road every time it rains. I thought once or twice about what sign I could put up to discourage the thoughtless behavior, but then I have to laugh at myself for being so foolish.

People who don't care about their neighbor, won't care about their neighbor's signs.

You can use signs for the safety of others though, so no one would inadvertently stumble upon some angry bees.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts