Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a bunch of colonies in florida that need feeding. Problem is we wont be there to fill feeders. My question is if we fill top feeders with dry sugar will they take this until things start to bloom

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If they need feeding I suggest that you be there. Syrup is the way to go since they would build up faster with the pollen that will be coming shortly if it isn't already. Once they begin collecting pollen they need a good source of carbs or they will starve and you shipping them there would have been a waste.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they need feeding I suggest that you be there. Syrup is the way to go since they would build up faster with the pollen that will be coming shortly if it isn't already. Once they begin collecting pollen they need a good source of carbs or they will starve and you shipping them there would have been a waste.
I know we should be there but cant. We dont have options. Like most up here in the north, i have used dry sugar here. I just dont know if it will work in the south. What I was hoping for was a reply by someone that has tried it with success or failure. Top feeders will hold about 25#. Water is not a problem. They will have plenty of time to build up.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Have you considered a local beek down there? Maybe instead of paying him, give him a couple of hives. I would do it if I lived there for nothing more than the cause......and free bees....LOL

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Dry sugar on top of newspaper on the top bars will work, and they will build up on it. Once the nectar flow starts, they will ignor it.
How many pounds do you put on at a time? In our climate how fast do they take that down and you add more? On avg.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I usually dump 10-15 pounds at a time. I load them this time of year usually and they are good to go when nectar starts in March. On a small hive, I might have a pound or two of hard sugar left in the spring. Once the nectar starts, they are done with sugar. You can find a lot of information on this hear. I lay down a sheet of newspaper on the top bars inside of an empty super. Leave an inch uncovered at the the front edge. i dampen the newspaper, dump the sugar, and dampen the pile to set it in place. I make sure I have that front edge pretty wet and by the time I put the top on they are feeding.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Thanks Ross. I have been looking at doing the M/C method for a while, but wasn't sure how much they would go though and how fast. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts