Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best and quickest method to liquify honey in 5-gallon buckets that has crystallized?

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
I have an old refrigerator with a 100 watt incadescent lightbulb thermostatically controlled to shut off at 105 degrees. You also need a fan to disperse the heat in the booth so there are no hot spots. Takes about three or four days.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
The quick way is to take a turkey fryer and a kettle that is big enough to set the five gallon bucket in. I place three large wrenches under the bucket so the bottom of the bucket does not melt out! You have to be present andstart stirring as soon as you can but you can have the honey liquified and 110 degrees in a matter of hours. The lightbulb and booth is easier and easier on the honey.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have an old refrigerator with a 100 watt incadescent lightbulb thermostatically controlled to shut off at 105 degrees. You also need a fan to disperse the heat in the booth so there are no hot spots. Takes about three or four days.
The old refrigerator conversion into an incubator works well for many heating applications. Use a good thermostat with the light bulb and fan. We run two light bulbs in parralel so that if one blows it still works and hopefully you notice before the second one blows.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Actually my experience is more with using them to heat honey for filtering. I would think for degranulating probably 24 hours plus. This one works in a few hours:

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/round-pail-heater-120-volt-100-watts

But requires stirring of the honey.

I assume it will work on a 5-gallon bucket as their website shows. How long does it take approximately to liquify 1 bucket?
We use these, not quick but does not over heat the honey:

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/blanket-heater-5-gallon-120-volt

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
OK.....I asked two people. Both say the blanket is Very slow....days to degranulate a bucket. Like I said, we use it only for warming. Sorry I recommended it for degranulating. The metal one you have to stay with and stir, or it will over heat the honey and bucket.
Turkey fryer was the consensus.

I assume it will work on a 5-gallon bucket as their website shows. How long does it take approximately to liquify 1 bucket?
We use these, not quick but does not over heat the honey:

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/blanket-heater-5-gallon-120-volt

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
A empty bottling tank with some water in it. I bought one just to do odd things. Like melt wax,make surup, clean frames,clean and cappings of honey.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This worked well for me, I place the buckets in the bath tub an turn the shower head on with just a slow stream. I crank up the heater before I start. How long it takes to decrystallize depends on how much is crystallized. The excess water goes into the overflow. It's important to turn the water heater way high!

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is the best and quickest method to liquify honey in 5-gallon buckets that has crystallized?
I found one of those small freezers that had went bad. I gutted the compressor. I then went to Amazon and bought a INKBIRD temperature controller. I installed 3 60 watt incandescant light bulbs. Access for power was thru the drain hole in freezer bottom. The controller has a digital
temperature pickup. I'm able to put 2 buckets of honey in at a time. I set the controller to 110 for hard granulation and the buckets are liquefied within 24 hours generally.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Over the honey pail, place two empty deep supers, place an extension cord with a 60 watt (your choice wattage) bulb at the bottom (NOT touching the pail) and another extension cord at the top with similar bulb. Cover with a hive top and let it sit for a day or so. Should liquify in about 2 days or so, maybe less. No need to purchase anything. OMTCW

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts