Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the queen less swarm that I hived 2 days ago, I saw some fight going on at the entrance, and for the first time I saw a bee picking up her adversary and flying about 30 ft up in the air, than dropping it 30-40 feet away from the hive. The dropped bees were still alive down in the dust. I reduced the entrance to about 1inch, but this looked strange to me. Is it a normal occurrence or did I bring home a swarm of military miniature helicopters?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you place a feeder or are there honey frames in that hive? Another hive appears to be trying to enter your hive to probably gather sugar/syrup/nectar or whatever, for food. This Robbing can begin on a hive that is weak and has a reserve of honey or syrup etc.. Sounds like you did the right thing for the time being by reducing the entrance for a while. Now a weak hive doesnt have to defend such a large entrance. It's normal to see bees fighting when another hive's bees is trying to enter, this is not a totally unusual event, but one that you try to prevent. That's my 2 cents..

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Honeybees take there dead out away form the hive it’s a hygienic behavior. The bees that are doing the hauling are referred to as undertaker bees.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do undertakers haul out bees that are not dead yet? I kind of associated this with the fighting. I am concerned because I do not know what kind of bees these are. I picked them up on the side of a house last week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts