Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

War and beekeeping

1068 19
Why in treatment-free?
Because where there is war, no time for anything (let alone treatments).

#1) First time on the yard after 7 months.
All bees were left behind as-is.
As of now - out of 17 hives there are five (5) that are still alive.
At least two of these are newly moved in swarms.

(534) Что случилось с пасекой за 7 месяцев без участия пчеловода? Первый раз на пасеке с начала войны - YouTube

#2) Back after a half-year being away.
About five (5) hives perished, but others are flying fine.
Notice how all colonies are covered by plastic film - probably for the best.
(534) Як виглядає пасіка без пасічника - YouTube
Reactions: drummerboy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Those were interesting GregB, I subscribed to each, at least they might garner a little revenue from youtube to help in their future beekeeping efforts.

I noticed on the last video that some of the hives had possibly reeds or sticks making up the walls? Or am I mistaken.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those were interesting GregB, I subscribed to each, at least they might garner a little revenue from youtube to help in their future beekeeping efforts.

I noticed on the last video that some of the hives had possibly reeds or sticks making up the walls? Or am I mistaken.
Yes.
Reeds.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curious
Makes sense.
The a$$holes thought of themselves being smart and original - trying to kill a beekeeper (who else?).
The a$$holes underestimated how the bees will propolize everything, including the grenades.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A sad one.
One of beekeepers I took ideas from - broodless treatment is one.
He is one of the queen insulation management advocates.
(749) Моя пасека осенью после руzкой весны. - YouTube

Added - looks like this fellow spent some time in Georgia (not GA, US).
Unsure of his whereabout now, need to review his channel

Very cool footage from Georgia (home of Gray Caucasian bees); check out the log hives.
(749) Школа "Творческого пчеловодства в Грузии. - YouTube

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Another blogger from Ukraine put up an episode - bees without the keeper for 6 months.

Short resume - three colonies reviewed - no honey (potential starvation death).
Then the fourth colony in the row - packed full.

This to me is an indication of something similar to what I see also.
Some bees are not a good fit locally - if left alone, they cannot provide for themselves.

But others are a good fit - if on the same stand and using the same forage they manage well.
This issue gets regularly masked by the general love to bee feeding and carrying on the locally unfit bees (that should be selected out).

(752) Пасека в ноябре 6 месяцев пчелы без пчеловода #1 - YouTube

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
4,243 Posts

Igor, a 46-year-old from recently liberated Kherson oblast, was part of Mykhailo’s partisan network until his work filming Russian movements led to a brief detention with the enemy—and ultimately a lucky escape. “I started filming the Russians and the movement of weapons on my phone. Finally they realized someone from my village was filming, so they closed the checkpoints and started to examine our phones. I deleted my pictures, but I didn’t delete the trash. When they checked, they found the photos and tried to take me away. A lot of people surrounded them, and some of my relatives gave them money and cigarettes,” he said.

For Igor, it took time to find a trusted network to send his videos to, but then as family members learned about his activities, they offered to help, including his beekeeping father.

“At the start, I didn’t know who to send coordinates to, so I sent them to the administration office of Mykolaiv oblast, but then I found a relative who fought in 2014, so he had a much better network. When they started to bomb Mykolaiv from Kherson, my father felt terrible and wanted to help too. He worked with bees, so he would send us coded messages about places we kept the bees and whether it was busy now, things like this. Locations only we knew. There was a time when we needed to get a view of areas next to the river—even the satellites couldn’t view this. We pretended to go fishing and were able to report back on the location,” he said.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts