Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a first year beekeeper I'm already wanting to see spring come. The inactivity around my hives depresses me, and not able to get into them depresses me. So now I'm wishing my years and life away to watch bees.

Surely I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
577 Posts
It sure is easy to get cabin fever this time of year and yearn for spring. I miss all the work in the beeyard, so I use this time to build equipment, plan next year's work and for reading. Lots of reading on the subject of bees, of course. Spring will come soon enough.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The Winter weather here in Tucson, Arizona is most like the Summer weather in many parts of the Northern U.S.A. and Canada. Our nights are usually in the 40's F and the days mostly in the high 60's F to the 70's F.

We have been having a semi-wet Winter, with rain about every second or third week. Because of this moisture we are likely to have a Winter honey flow start some time in February.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved. I have to move to Arizona now. Joseph do you need a neighbor?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Spring already? Hold your horses please. We're just starting to do some icefishing here, then trapping starts,cross country skiing, eating lutafisk and lefse. It's the best time of year to be a Minnesotan..:) PP

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I'm already wanting to see spring come. The inactivity around my hives depresses me, and not able to get into them depresses me. So now I'm wishing my years and life away to watch bees.
It sure is easy to get cabin fever this time of year and yearn for spring. I miss all the work in the beeyard,
Never fails thoses folks that live where they don`t realy have winter are the first to gripe about winter :lpf::lookout:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here in Maine, we have real winter. And I miss the girls already. So I often take a walk to my hive in the back yard and place my ear to the hive. I find that the sweet sound of their humming is quite soothing and assures me that all is well. I really love that sound!

Huuuuuuuummmmmmmm.............:applause:

Cindy

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
eating lutafisk and lefse. PP
Mmmmm! My favorite christmas meal. I got my rope(150'), life jacket and jig poles ready. As soon as we get 1 1/2" of ice I'm jigging. Hope this snow that is coming doesn't hold back the ice building to much. I'm glad it's winter and the bees are gone so I can get some quality time in the great outdoors.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Now's the time to read all you can, build all the boxes, frames, bottom boards, covers, etc. and relax.....learn all you can....and spring will be here b4 you know it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wish I had the tools and know how to build. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I sure hate to bust all of your bubbles, but winter doesn't even start for 12 more days. Let's see the Y2K bubble, POP, dot com bubble, POP, Housing bubble, POP, on now the winter end bubble, POP.:doh:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Winter.....what's that??? We get a stretch of cold days here and there and a light dusting of snow once in a while, but I haven't seen a real winter since I came to Texas in 1977. I was in Buffalo, NY for the blizzard of '77. Twelve ft. snow drifts and one night the wind chill was -68......now that's a winter.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I sure hate to bust all of your bubbles, but winter doesn't even start for 12 more days.
May not start for 12 days but it got a jump start today 30° and wind [email protected] 29 MPH snow is not falling its going stright acorss :cry:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
So, last night was the third attempt, this season, by Mother Nature to try to freeze us. Low got down to 34F. Tomato plants are still growing - I use them as my freeze gauge. Once they freeze-off I will acknowledge that we've had a frost. Most years we get about a dozen or more days with temperatures near freezing. Every ten years or so we get a night with a dip even lower, about three years ago it dropped to 19F for a few hours - horrible for my tropical Bamboo plants.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am really unlike the bees. I can't stand weather over 90 with or without humidity. My favorite time of year is from October through March. Don't get me wrong, I like the bees and in the evenings during the summer I enjoy sitting outside and watching them come and go but I'm also relieved when the temps drop below freezing and I can get my sticks out to head down the slopes or glide across the fields near my house. Lest not forget snowshoeing or ice skating. It's so nice not having to deal with mosquitoes or ticks!

My newest hobby starts in February and only lasts two months. It's a good way to prep for the attention my bees will need in April... maple sugaring. Although those of you in the south would have a hard time getting sweet sap from your maple trees. We'll see how that goes this year. As a matter of fact my sugarshack serves a dual purpose - the sweetness of maple syrup AND honey!

Get out and enjoy the winter!
Keith

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I had a dream last night that it was spring and there were alot of wildflowers blooming. Alot that I have never seen before and I was taking pics of them to figure out what they were. Then I woke up. I was so mad getting dressed this morning.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Winter has it;s purpose and functions and one of them is the requred chill factir so that trees can bloom on schedule for the bees.
Think about the strong climatological factors that enter into winter.
Think positive!
I have more time to build hive componants.
Ernie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts