Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good luck, I've tried to contact beeweaver for a week I gave up and took some russian hybrids and itialians from kelleys. You'll probably call them tomorrow and they'll be on the way lol

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Bweaver dosen't sell Buckfast. Rweaver claims too. But are they really Buckfast? I think not. I have never really looked into buying them. But I have read that someone in Canada (I think) sells true Buckfast. And that was about the only place to get them.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Mike Gardner from Gardner Apiaries told me when I was down picking up packages that he imported Buckfast from Europe. He said they had to go through Canada first and be on comb before they could be brought into the U.S. He said that they cost him $10,000 for all the breeders he recieved. Maybe you can give him a call and see what he has going on.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dunkel - sorry to hear that.
Hambone - Why do think it isn't really buckfast? What would make it so?
AmericasBeekeeper - What is their contact?
Yuleluder - If someone is paying $10,000 for his breeders I imagine I can't afford a queen produced from them :eek:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
R. Weaver's method sounds pretty much like all other. Their mating yards are 10 mile apart and they saturate the area with drones for that breed.

Is there something I should know?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ordered buckfast from RWeaver this year. They want orders over the web rweaver.com. I don't know enough about it to say they are/are not real buckfast, but I can say the package of bees is kinda hot. I'm hoping that they cool down when the bees are the queens.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you had the choice between a big operation breeder and a smaller breeder (a slight amount more expensive and the breed is not pure) which would you choose? I know it seems obvious to go with the bigger, but wouldn't a smaller breeder be able to manage the bees better since the demands are smaller?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have bought queens from alot of different sources. With that said I wouldn't hesitate to buy from anyone who promoted queens with characteristics I find important. A beekeeper really needs to bring the queens in and evaluate them in his/her yard. Buying one queen and having it perform poorly or great does not necessarily mean anything either. If you buy say 50 or 100 queens and most of them turn out to be garbage, then I would probably not buy from that breeder again. Beekeeping to me is more about trial and error then anything else. Try some queens out see how they overwinter and perform the next spring. If they meet what you call productive then buy from that same source again.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Miksa qualifies as huge. They send out hundreds of queens and cells every day. Miksa sells many different stocks including Buckfast. I picked up two for the workshops at USF.
Miksa Honey Farms, 13404 Honeycomb Rd, Groveland, FL 34736, (352) 429-3447, [email protected] queens, queen cells and nucs

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
a thumbsup to Miksa from me also, we've been very happy with his product. We purchased Russian cells (150 cells) last year. They can be tough to get ahold of by phone sometimes they are very busy, I might suggest an e-mail also. And yes they do ship mated queens.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an email in to him. I am waiting though for a reply from someone on the forum that PMed me about selling me a queen.

Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought 2 Buckfast queens from Fergusons last year. Both ars still going strong.
Excellent temperment, both are bringing in a lot of nectare.
They do overwinter in a large cluster (as compared to russian or nwc's).
No problems getting them into the country. There is an additional fee.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts