Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a few tbh nucs this weekend, and I was just informed me that the top bars are 14" long (I swear he told something different when I ordered them!). Well......all of my tbh were made to accommodate 20" top bars. Anyone dealt with this before? I've thought of a couple ideas, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I'll cycle these bars out, once the hive gets going.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Re: WANTED: Creative ideas for modifying 14" top bars to fit into a 20" hive

I'm picking up a few tbh nucs this weekend, and I was just informed me that the top bars are 14" long (I swear he told something different when I ordered them!). Well......all of my tbh were made to accommodate 20" top bars. Anyone dealt with this before? I've thought of a couple ideas, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I'll cycle these bars out, once the hive gets going.

Thanks
As long as your depth will accomadate it, just cut a 20" wide 1 1/4" wide piece and fasten it to it? I don't know how trying to screw into the smaller top bars would go, but I'd think you could use some heavy duty rubber bands to strap the old bar onto the new. Or wrap wire around it.

·
Registered
276 Posts

I agree, get flat bottomed bar of the right size. and hang these below them. using zip ties or screws is better. Rubber bands the bees will eat thru and you are looking to hold the bar securely so the bees won't build lots of brace comb. as long as you have clearance you can use them for a while until next year when you wanna cycle them out.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts

Why cycle them out? Screw the 14" bars on the bottom of the 20" bars. (or some new 20" bars that don't have a comb guide in the way).

·
Registered
6,034 Posts

I agree, get flat bottomed bar of the right size. and hang these below them. using zip ties or screws is better. Rubber bands the bees will eat thru and you are looking to hold the bar securely so the bees won't build lots of brace comb. as long as you have clearance you can use them for a while until next year when you wanna cycle them out.
There ya go, zip ties would be perfect I think. They'll make a little gap between bars but nothing too bad.

·
Registered
235 Posts

My friend uses fuzzy yarn. The bees seems to leave it alone. No messes yet.

·
Registered
557 Posts

You could easily rip lath down to the right width, cut to length and fasten it to the 14" bars to make them span the 20"

·
Registered
626 Posts

I just did this so a couple bars would fit in a Lang super. Make extenders the thickness, width, and length you need then center them over the shorter bars and screw them on. I made sure the width of the extender matched the bar width and screwed them on before I removed the shorter bar from the nuc. Seems to be working well. I posted a picture on another thread of what it looks like looming down on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Keep in mind that with 20" bars, the bees will tend to curve the ends of the combs. One possibility you could try to avoid that problem (and also avoid the need to crop the bottom of the combs, which you'd probably have to do if you added another bar to the top bar) is to add an extender to one end of each bar. If you alternate the ends you extend, the combs won't be able to curve. You could use these http://www.amazon.com/Simpson-Strong-Strong-Tie-HRS6-Heavy/dp/B003YHIJ2C

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I really appreciate your help. Fingers crossed for success this weekend...

RMH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts