Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have one they could post pictures of? I have the basic idea, but have never seen one in person, what is on the cross bar to help it grip the box? How wide and how long?
Thanks

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
How young are you and the other guy? Are you in reasonably good physical condition? If so, you don't need a lifter, you are the lifter. You just need to know how to do it. You really don't need another piece of equipment in the back of your truck.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK how is it done? I need to put 12 full size hives on a trailer, where they will stay.
Most are 2 deeps and at least 1 super.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
First, if you can reduce the hive to two deeps. But having one super shouldn't be a problem. Get yourself some hive staples. Staple the bottom board to the first deep and the first deep to the second deep. If the super has been on for a while, you can probably get away w/out stapling that.

Once everything is stapled, one person stands on one side of the hive and the other person the other side. Both persons squat down and place a hand under the front of the hive and the other hand at the joint where the two deeps meet, on the back of the hive. Tilt the hive back so that the corner of the back of the bottom board is on the ground. But the front of the bottom board is not.

Once you feel good about what you've got in your hands, stand up using your knees, not your back. Walk over to the trailer and set it on the deck. Go get another one.

Up until the time I got my Bobcat I used this method for moving yards and loading semis. Most of the time I moved two story hives by myself. In to and out of apple orchards. To and from SC and back.

That's another story and another lesson. Most people can find someone to help them, I guess.

Any questions? Just ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts