Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

181 - 183 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I have just uploaded another video: OSBN with Empty Comb - 2nd Inspection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Vq2pMqSpg

In it you will see an OSBN frame mostly drawn with Brood, eggs and Drone comb on the bottom edges.

The other OBSN frame is just starting to get drawn out and you can see some larvae in shallow partially drawn cells and also Wax Makers building comb.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
The video for the 2nd inspection of the hive where I am doing OSBN using only Foundation has now been uploaded:

This Spring has been cold and wet, so I have not had a lot of opportunities to work on the hives and be able to do a video.
So the first Inspection was later than usual, right at the start of Swarm Season. This meant there were 8 frames with brood and so the OSBN frame and Foundation frame were both put on the outside edges of the box. As you know, bees are reluctant to draw out outside frames. So these frames were not drawn out as well as usual.

I also put the second OSBN frame towards the outside of the top box. So both OSBN frames barely got touched. Only the bottom one had a bottom corner drawn out.

The bees did still draw out 4 full frames and 2 half frames of Foundation and filled them with brood, nectar and pollen. So it was still successful. But it looks like the trigger for Wax Making was the gap between boxes instead as they put Drone comb (and larvae) there. I haven't had Drone comb between boxes for years, since I started doing OSBN.

So the 2nd OSBN frame should be placed beside the 2 honey frames in the Top (New) Box to ensure that at least one of the OSBN frames acts as a trigger for Wax Making.

So this is what I am recommending:

OSBNConfigSmall.jpg

181 - 183 of 183 Posts