Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess its time to introduce myself. Up to this point ive been lurking here and
reading all I can. I have enrolled in the beekeeping course offered by
the Indian Creek Nature Center in Cedar Rapids Iowa.

Havnt got any hives yet and probably wont this year either as the city
of Cedar Rapids prohibits beehives. So everything is pretty much on hold
until I can find someplace to keep them.

Long term plan is to move out of the city but thats at least another year off.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Mike. My son and I took the class at Indian Creek last year. They give a very good introduction to bee keeping. We learned a lot from them and continue to learn from this forum. Maybe you could find a landowner just outside of Cedar Rapids who would allow you to keep bees on their property in exchange for a little honey?
Lots of cities across the U.S. are now allowing bees in the city limits. Maybe it's time for the city of Cedar Rapids to change their thinking on bees too. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mike. My son and I took the class at Indian Creek last year. They give a very good introduction to bee keeping. We learned a lot from them and continue to learn from this forum. Maybe you could find a landowner just outside of Cedar Rapids who would allow you to keep bees on their property in exchange for a little honey?
Lots of cities across the U.S. are now allowing bees in the city limits. Maybe it's time for the city of Cedar Rapids to change their thinking on bees too. :)
The class has been great so far. However they are expecting 80% loss in the apiary over this winter.
And the packaged bees for the class wont arrive until May this year.

One of the class intructors does live in Cedar Rapids and he is working with some city officials to
draft a new ordinace to allow beekeeping in the city. But he said its not likely there will be anything
done on it this year.

The ironic thing is the Cedar Rapids public library has a pretty good selection of beekeeping books.

So I have been trying to find some place outside the city but so far have not had much luck.
I moved here from Illinois last summer so am still pretty new here.

Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
You'll find out about the local club that meets at the Coralville library every quarter.
Great bunch, and maybe some advice and help for you.
You most likely could get bees from one of them later in the summer if you find a place.

Goodluck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts