Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved walts "book" awhile ago but I have not read it and now it is packed away since we just moved and I have no idea where it is.

I was reading some posts and I wanted to ask what his method is.

How does it work.. in simple terms and what is the purpose.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Walt's method is a system to prevent swarming and by doing this it maximizes honey production.
His method "opens up" the brood chamber and the bees never feel like they are getting crowded so they don't have a need to swarm. It is interesting reading.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Chef Isaac,

The summary mentioned above IS excellent, especially since it addresses TBH, which Walt has never used. Many thanks to Dennis Murrell.

Also, Walt's past articles from ABJ and Bee Culture have been scanned and may be seen at:

http://www.knology.net/~k4vb/Walt's%20BIO.htm

Basically, Walt's method is to build huge populations of bees, which make more honey. To do this, you break the overhead solid dome of capped honey at the top of the hive. Every other frame of capped honey is moved into the alternate slot in another super placed on top. The empty slots are filled with empty, brood-depth drawn comb (this is sometime referred to as checkerboarding). You then place two supers of empty drawn comb on top. The bees will begin filling the checkerboarded frames with brood and the supers with nectar, and they will rarely swarm. The only work for the beekeeper from then on is to keep adding supers of drawn comb. When bees are first seen working the top box, put on one or two more. We have seen hives with the equivalent of 2-1/2 to 3 deeps of brood. Also, hives high enough that Walt (who is over 6' tall) had to work them from a step ladder.

Your message indicates that you previously purchased the manuscript in hardcopy. We now have it in electronic format (pdf). If you will send me your name and address so I can check them against our customer list I will be happy to send you a replacement electronic copy. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to ship you another hardcopy.

BTW, I tried to send this by replying to your private message, but your box is full. Go to 'My Profile', you apparently have quite a few messages you haven't read.

·
Registered
537 Posts
His method "opens up" the brood chamber
Important to note here that as Roy points out, the beekeeper manipulation involved in Walt's method opens up the overhead honey rather than the brood nest itself.

Walt and I have found that the beekeeper may have to perform this manipulation more than once in my area to preclude swarming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts