Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using the set up that Walt talks about? Pollen shallow, brood deep, 2 medium honey supers. I got some questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have got supper on bottom then one deep on top .witered good biulding up good .what are u wanting to find out .i might want to know to ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last year I got 2 nucs. The feller I got them from told me to winter them in 2 deeps and that would be enough. Lost both of them. Then today ran into another feller keeps bees down near Floyd. He doesn't do 2 deeps either and his came through winter just fine. I was wanting to find a better way. I sunk a lot of money into this and don't have much to trade for more.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The key is to discover why you lost the two hives. Starvation? Mites? What exactly? That kind of diagnosis will be very helpful to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The key is to discover why you lost the two hives. Starvation? Mites? What exactly? That kind of diagnosis will be very helpful to you.
Starved out. Done my best so the hives was full into December. Big story in the paper here back how a feller lost a whole bunch this winter. Talked to some other folks who run double deeps and they all had big losses too. Got me thinking about why if that's what everybody advices. Read Walt's ideas on here, and sound like they make sense. Bees build long combs and we make them jump gaps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts