Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
214 Posts
Well, it is a rather interesting (small) hive... with no footprint at all. I guess he has to keep an eye on swarm cells.

But.... how do people get such calm bees? There is no way I can muck around like that, with no smoke in front of the entrance of my hives.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
"Honeyeater, post: 1844725, member: 131963"]
But.... how do people get such calm bees? There is no way I can muck around like that, with no smoke in front of the entrance of my hives.
Small hive and breeding.
In areas were people control the nesting cavities hot bees don't last..

skep beekeeping in deforested medieval UK led to a well mannered british native AMM... let loose on the shores of the US they became the ill tempered "german black"

In germany were it seems feral are all but a unicorn we see genital stocks as the rule

And even the "killer bees" were tamed by this efect
News Bureau | ILLINOIS
The scientists hypothesize that the bees evolved to be more docile as a result of living on a very densely populated island from which they could not easily escape. Humans likely eradicated the most aggressive bees, aiding their more docile counterparts.
My guess in your location you have a sold feral background in the drone pool, and/or a culture that puts up with ruffer stocks.

Reactions: Honeyeater
1 - 3 of 3 Posts