Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you do split the bees, how many days do you have to shake in more bees from the same hive, before they consider them not to be from "their" hive?
I did a split yesterday and I'm concerned that I didn't transfer enough bees. I'd like to add more from the original hive but it's going to rain for the next 2 days.

So if I did the split on Wednesday, can I safely add more bees from the original hive on Saturday?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, not a problem when transferring a few hundred or thousand or so bees, but don't shake 'em in. Rather, simply transfer them while on the frame (or two) of open (or capped) brood if you have it.

Also try to add young bees, not older foragers, to your split. Young bees are more readily accepted by a seperate colony, and they stay in their new home. Foragers fly back to their old home. Young bees are found clinging to a frame of open brood. Just remember not to shake them off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The other thing you could try is swap hive locations. The foragers from the parent hive will then return to the split, boosting its population.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll just transfer a couple more frames then.
Moving the hive isn't an option for me because it's a pretty booming hive and full of honey. I just added another super to it.
I need to harvest some honey, I think. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. I went to the outyard and at first glance it seemed no bees were going in and out. The original hive had good traffic moving in it. I mowed for a couple hours, then came back and now bees are going in and out of the new split hive. When I checked in the slpit, there were a good amount of bees inside.
I was able to take another frame from the original hive, heavy with bees and some brood on one side and uncapped honey on the other and add it to the split. That frame also had 4 or five queen cells on the bottom, and it looked like they were capped cells. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts