Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first experience with walk-away splits... I checked my six walk-away splits for the first time yesterday. As recommended, I left them alone for four weeks. Four of the six have eggs and/or larvae. Two didn't... never found a queen in any of them. The weather has been funky for two weeks, so can I safely assume:
1. Either there is a queen in those two, but she hasn't started laying, or
2. They are definitely queenless, and time to go to Plan B.

Your thoughts?
I plan to check them again this weekend, but I will have some extra queens then to implement Plan B if necessary. :D
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did my first split last spring and after about the same amount of time, I was worried as I had no eggs or brood and feared that I had goofed up. I did notice that the bees in there were building and putting up stores. Since I didn't really know what else to do, I left them alone and withing a couple more weeks, I found lots of capped brood.
Robee

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I pulled 4 walk aways from one hive in March. Then they decided to off the queen in the one hive about 3 weeks later. She JUST started laying....Give them some time. I missed 3 queens in 2 of the splits, and TOTALLY missed a laying queen in one of my Nucs....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Never walk away for 4 weeks,that's a joke.Go back in 5 or 6 days to see if they built a queen cell. Then in 2 weeks to see if you have a queen. Then in three weeks to make sure she is laying.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll give them another week, see what is happening then. I'll go ahead and make planned splits with my new queens this weekend... can add eggs to these two if they don't have a queen, or unite them with other colonies... options options....

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Did you check the 2 for opened queen cells?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The funny thing of it was, Hambone, there were no discernable open queen cells in any of the six nucs! They had apparently already torn them down and recycled the wax in comb building.

The good news is, I checked those two colonies yesterday afternoon, and lo and behold! Two of the most gorgeous looking queens to be seen! So in my walk-away splits the first time, 6 for 6! Patience is a virtue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts