Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a colony from a swarm I captured back in April. After they had been in the hive for a month or so, they went queenless, no idea why, maybe there wasn't a queen in the first place? Or I missed her when I captured the swarm? Anyway last month I bought a mated queen locally and introduced her. An inspection 3 weeks later showed no eggs, larva or brood. I assume the rejected her. In a last ditch effort I pulled a frame of eggs, larva and brood from my strongest hive and inserted it about a week ago. How long should I wait before I inspect or expect to see results?

Alan

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The bees will select a new larvae about 3 1/2 days into the 16 day clock to a new virgin queen emerging. It will take her about a week to grow up and go on a mating flight or two. That is weather dependent. Then it takes several days for her to start producing eggs. It will be approximately four weeks. I have heard it recommended and it makes sense to me, to add a frame of brood every week for three weeks to solve queenlessness. It will also keep the colony aged balanced and large enough in numbers to stay viable.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,561 Posts
check closely thru the hive next time Alan

as for the frame you gave in 7 days there "should" be capped queen cells if they want to make one.

I have seen an older queen in a swarm that never went back to laying, bees would not accept a new queen or make one from eggs she would not lay.
In Time I found her and despatched, next frame of eggs they made a queen.
It is possible to have a non laying queen in the swarm to complicate things.

concur on the frame a week, also would help to show what is going on. If they do not make one , "they perceive they have one" so go on the hunt, could a smallish non noticeable one.

GG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts