Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year was our first year of Beekeeping, and we lost several hives to small hive beetles. I went after the problem in 3 steps. 1) Over the winter, I moved my bees to a different location in the yard that gets more sun and faced them east. 2) Before I set up the stands, I laid weedblock on the ground beneath them. I extended the weedblock for several feet in front, back and to the sides of the stands. This ensured that the beetle larvae had no place to pupate. I covered the weedblock with mulch from pine trees that I ran through the chipper. I then set up my stands for 16 hives. 3) Every time I added a box to the hives, I put a disposable hive beetle trap (from Brushy Mountain) in each box.

So far this year, I have seen very few hive beetles. In fact they aren't even an issue. Last year my hives were eaten up with beetles, this year I hardly ever see them when I inspect. I also put a long privacy fence behind the hives (western side) to keep out the cold winter wind, which should help this winter.

The combination of giving them more sun, putting a physical barrier between the beetle larvae and the ground, and putting a beetle trap in each box has solved that problem.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
That is what I did with the same success. Additionally, I raised one hive two feet off the ground. It is doing better than the hive at 18 inches. I only have 4 to 28 hives at any time so I cannot be sure without more hives. The two foot hive has more honey so I doubt I will keep the other hive low anymore. I added steps for the young beekeepers. The youngest at the workshops is eight.
http://americasbeekeeper.com/USFbee 021.JPG

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
just be aware the beetles will get worse as the summer progresses, peaking in late august early september. Im just now starting over the past 2 weeks to see an increasing number of them

·
Registered
86 Posts
we just back into bees this year. bought 2 nucs and within 2 weeks noticed beetles. we have mostly sun and have thought about full sun. we have the hives 20" off ground, covered the area with salt (no grass now maybe salty lavae ?) vented w/bottom board and shb pan. also vented top. we also removed a frame from each hive that was made of black plastic w/alot of grooves. the beetles loved these frames. our beetle count is significantly better now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts