Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been unseasonably warm. Our last official frost date is mid May. I went to a meeting and heard a speaker state she'd reversed her hives the first warm week. Not to start a debate but I checked my hives (all two deeps) and there was nothing in the bottom deeps so I thought I'd do the same. Of course I read here that it was too early and the following week at that same meeting place the next speaker stated quite plainly that if we had divided up the brood that would have been a stupid error this time of year.
OK that said. Today I went out to check. My most active happy hive has FILLED the top deep with nectar and pollen. None of the nectar is capped. I found capped brood, larva eggs etc. below but no empty space. I pulled some of the full nectar frames and gave them to a slow hive. Replaced the filled frames with empties. Checked another hive and discovered the same thing! I noticed that my neighbor has a patch of dandelions blooming by his house.
Should I layer on a super even though it's so early? I'm afraid they will get honey (nectar) bound and the queens will have no place to lay.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I would suggest putting supers on as soon as you can. Our county inspector has been out checking colonies and he's already found some queen cells. With this exceptionally mild spring weather we could see swarming much earlier than usual if they get crowded.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Sounds like a plan. If it cools down in a couple of weeks it won't hurt having supers on. Better to be a little early supering than too late. If they are into a mild flow right now they need more empty cells to cure excess nectar and spread out the brood nest. From your description it sounds like the queen may have already been a bit restricted in her laying area.

The weather has been unbelievable this spring. I sure hope we don't get a hard freeze mid-late April that kills all the fruit blossoms. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wow, sounds like your girls wintered well and hit the ground running. I agree that supering immediately is your safest bet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why do we always look at the calender, we deal with averages, and this year is a early year. Take advantage of the nice spring and make bees and honey. This has been a great spring up here, and if it continues we'll be making splits a month earlier than we have in about 11 years. It's great. Take it and run,

Camp

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
As far as breaking up the brood, that's if brood is in both boxes. If the bottom box is empty, I don't know what it would harm to reverse the boxes.
I don't live in you're climate though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm not to far from Oberlin here in Ohio also (about 90 min east of you). I'm seeing very much the same as you. I have 4 hives right now, all have capped brood, bringing in pollen and nector. I can't even get them to take 1:1 for their nosemea treatment. Using a top feeder last week I put on feed, but they won't take it. Nobody is touching the megabee pollen patties.

I did a full inspection yesterday and one hive has 14-15 full frames of brood,pollen,capped and uncapped honey (two brood boxes).

I went ahead and put on super.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ohio weather... It never is predictable. Remember when we got snow in late April a few years back. It messed up the plants, the bees and everything else. I'm right there with you, I'm starting to get concerned. I seen I have some blossoms on my cherry trees now. We'll just have to go into wait and see mode I guess.

For those beeks who hunt morel mushrooms, The year I mentioned I was finding them in the snow!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts