Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After unseasonably warm feb/mar we have been just getting killed with the rain in may/june. Our main flow is blackberry and they pretty much came into full bloom last week. Trouble is we have not been able to go two days without rain. Our current forecast says we are going to have three dry days then the rain returns again.
I am still feeding my gals just like last year, only then it was because it was too dry and we had no nectar flow.

After a rain it takes three days for the nectar to replenish, this is looking like it is gonna be another bust year.

·
Registered
706 Posts
No it does not take three days for nectar to replenish. I live out here in Grays Harbor. I get far more rain then you OldE by the way how are you doing? Any way I have probly next week a harvest of honey to do my girls I see work in the rain I love them Carnies. no the nectar does not get washed a way. it just sits there till the girls can take it. the pollen does get washed down the drain.

·
Registered
706 Posts
yep its been rotten weather Its like we went from Skipped winter, had spring, then went strait to fall. Almost like it been strait from the Monte Python script of the Holy Grail.. But looking things up Lewis and Clark had the same weather when they reached here. It about killed them the Summer they spent in western Washington.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, no different here in N. Id.
It's just like living on the coast sans the salt air. The girls seem to fly a bit between storms but they are short lived gaps in the fronts.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Was engaged to a girl from Snohomish years ago. My biggest fear was that she would want to move back there. Rain, rain and rain. Dang I'm glad we broke up, especially after hearing your story!

Here's hoping the flow kicks back in and your girls fill up their supers!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it does not take three days for nectar to replenish. QUOTE]

Just repeating what I have been told by several commercial beekeepers in the area. Not been doing it long enough to say for myself.
The long range forecast is for this weather pattern to stick around through July, then they follow that up with a warning for a colder wetter winter than normal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya I have been feeding my 2 hives & 2 nucs.One nuc has a wasu Quean daughter that our culb grafted.She hatched wed or thursday.I hope she can get out to get mated.I should know in a week or so.second try last one dident work.This one at least she was spotted.real dark looking quean :cool::D Pat.K

·
Registered
29 Posts
The way the weather is going I am debating going for honey or through in the towl.And doing a split and feed.I have a booming hive.I would love to get another quean like her but dont want to mis honey:scratch:.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hard to tell but I've only seen one (yes that's 1!!) honeybee this spring. The blackberry bloom is dying off and no bees, no bees in the flower gardens. They're not even showing up on my humongus mock orange and it used to attract them in droves.
Doesn't look like the ferals did very well over the winter. Anyone seen much swarming in the PNW this year?

Rgds: Jeff

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here in the desert of eastern WA we have had to supplement as well. But yesterday seems to have been the start of summer. Blue skies and warm to hot days. Now the bees can really get to work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts