·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please give a volume size per 1#, 2# or 3# of bees? Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
So what is the volume of 1 euro worker bee in cubic meters or inches? The question is about volume as well as weight like how many bees fill a 1 gallon bucket or 1 liter bottle and what does it then weigh? I can't easily locate any reliable stats. Also for packaging the volume has to be increased to allow some extra beespace per bee of course.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I am asking is what you commercial beeks use for measuring 2 or 3 # packages. Like a screened box, etc. 8''x8''x8'' etc. Some I know some use a scale and some use volume to measure. I have no scales. Sorry for all the confusion.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Larry, John uses a battery run postage scale and weighs the bees. We use a couple size cages and while he could (and many do) use a place on the cage to measure the bees, he would have to adjust according to the cage. I don't know anyone who measures the bees in a container and empties that container into the cage, which probably accounts for your lack of a precise answer. Add to that the fact that volume is hard to measure when the bees are running up the sides of the container. If it were package shaking time someone could do a measure for you and I will do just that when we start shaking in early April and give you an idea, for what that is worth.
Sheri

1 - 13 of 13 Posts