Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out what others experience as far as a dearth (I'm in N. Ga). It seemed to me the dearth started early and the fall flow didn't happen. I saw almost no golden rod this year. As a result my planned late Sept - early Oct harvest will be next to nothing (just a backyard keeper here with 5 hives). What have you experience on this?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I am about 40 miles east of you and the dearth is still on. The goldenrod that the bees hit is going to begin blooming in the next few weeks. I have been at this 7 seasons and only one of them produced a fall harvest. Be prepared to feed if the fall flow doesn't happen and your hives are light.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
We don't get a fall flow here at all. True, there is some pollen and nectar coming in late August through September, but not enough to harvest. I start feeding in July and cut back in August to keep the bees foraging. So far, most of the hives are near winter weight and only the hives I have been stealing resources from are getting fed. Nucs are getting fed continually. Our goldenrod and astor flow will be starting soon also.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Totally different geography up here, asters and goldenrod are finishing, last of the clovers are finishing. Bees still have a bit of nectar and pollen coming in but not enough. Will start with syrup tomorrow. Put patties on today. It’s Fall here.
Brian
53 N 115 W El.850 M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts