Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do to recent events in the Caribbean. The island I live on has been covered with volcanic ash..
Comments, thoughts, suggestions as to wot do wif all the hives. 30+.
Just removed an open air hive.. all new wax was grey.
Thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
If the air is really bad, the bees will stay home. When the rains wash off the plants, they will quickly return to normal and start growing again.
All should be okay if the volcano quit and is no longer spewing ash and huge amounts of toxic fumes. Good luck!

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,541 Posts
Having dealt with a lot of wildfire smoke last year, I think the bees will be ok if they have enough food. If they are light feed them, and dont expect much from this season unless the volcano is already done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately this is the dry season.. we have had no rain since the eruption, and don't expect rain anytime soon. The sky maybe clear, but the fine dust is blown everywhere. Each night I must wipe it off countertops and dishes in the dry rack.

I'll take smoke over this stuff.. at least when the wind blows.. we have sugar cane fires. the smoke is gone. 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. No experience with volcanos, but many members like Elmer have dealt with wildfires and it seems all you can do is 1. Take care of yourself and family, then 2. Feed them. If they are confining themselves to the hive, perhaps a wet sheet to help filter the air? J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts