Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Void removal this morning. This was a very large hive (took several stings among us) that again was edge to edge brood. This is 1 of 2 located 2' from each other. The other is located in the floor joist in the foyer. That is scheduled for removal another day. The bees were using the same entrance just going seperate ways once inside the structure. This made for real defensive bees! lol
Thanks again, Pat, Scott, and Will.

0628140936.jpg 0628140937.jpg

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
WoW! You hit the jackpot with that one. All brood you said? I hope there was some honey. When I find all brood and no honey, I don't save that queen. That is a picture I'll dream about all next winter. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Very nice and to get so much brood too. Are going to try and raise some queens with it? A cut out we did two weeks or so made me 4 queens. We also got ten to twelve pounds of Honey.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
WoW! You hit the jackpot with that one. All brood you said? I hope there was some honey. When I find all brood and no honey, I don't save that queen. That is a picture I'll dream about all next winter. :)
Lee, two years ago my mentor and I did a removal that only had a very small band of honey at the top of the comb. The bees were steadily bringing in pollen, they were backing up behind us while we were working to open the colony up (standing in the way of their beeline). Anyhow, with basically zero honey stores I'm not sure they would have made it till the goldenrod flow, though they were around several small lakes with miscellaneous things blooming (apparently, since the pollen was coming in). There really wasn't that much brood, either,...I probably salvaged maybe four(?) medium frames of brood. But there was lots of bees!!!

The next year (last year) that colony made me over 100# of honey. :D

You never know...

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts