Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you must be able to find the queen. after 95+ temps the other day and melting down in my suit i gave up. finally went back today, found the queen, marked her, put her between two excluders. will go back tomarrow and put her in nicot box and see how this goes. my first attempt at queen rearing. first lesson, don't be intimidated by grafting i could be three days ahead already. we'll see how this nicot box works and then attemp grafting. hopefully will have my first queens before too long.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I think the real vital part is placing the egg laying box in the hive, preferably between two frames of open brood, for 24 to 48 hours prior to placing the queen in the egg laying box. I have all the cell cups in place, and I have the back of the egg laying box on but I leave the front off. The front part goes on when I place the queen in the box.

And as long as you are in the hive setting up the egg laying box, you might as well find and hold that queen in a queen catcher (those clam-shell things). Then you know exactly where she is when you come back.

Between two excluders in a great idea as well,

Grant
Jackson, MO http://www.nicot.homestead.com

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's baically what i did Grant. i found her and marked on my second attempt. put her between 2 queen exluders so she would be easier to find when i came back. i let the frame in there for 24 hours before i put the queen in there with the exluder. i should have left it in there another 24 like you said. she did not lay well the first 24hrs i had her confined so i left her in there another 24. eggs hooray. so i built my cell builder yesterday, and today we transfer to cell cups. will let ya'll know how it goes later.

·
Registered
290 Posts
@ olky -- just wondering how many cells you are transferring. A friend did a graft a week or so ago, and thought he might have made his cell builder too small (not enough bees) to accommodate 20 cells. He only had 9 take.

Also, we were taught at a queen rearing class (taught by Dr. Fell of Virginia Tech) to assemble the cell builder 3 days before transferring the cells and feed, feed, feed plain sugar water with no additives. This gets them in the mood to start pulling cells.

You said you're pulling your cell builder today. Are you also feeding? I'm asking all these questions because I'd like to start queens in a more organized fashion than what's been happening this summer (too long a story). Seems like it's more the "oops" way around my hives.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transfered 10 cells today. made my cellbuilder up yesterday. i don't think i started my cell builder hive soon enough, we will find out soon. this is my first attempt at rearing queens, so i'm still learning. if i fail, i will make changes and try again. yes i'm feeding.
mothergoose i thought i started this organized and by the book. due to a unexpected funeral and my back going out, it turned very disorganized. we'll see how it all ends.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
checked builder today. don't think i had it built strong enough. i do have 1 beautiful cell though on my first attempt. i'm tickled to death. will probly start another round monday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts