Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am coming to visit Florida this weekend... are there any good apiaries in the Orlando/Tampa/Plant City area? I would love to see/tour a "real" southern venue

Thanks,

DJ in PIT- looking forward to some warm/sun in FL

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
LOTS!!!! I m leaving for Florida Saturday. Will be making splits and moving bees to orange starting Monday. Bees are close to Lakeland. Lots and Lots of good Queen Breeders in the area including Miksa in groveland, Indian Summer in Mascotte, Honeyland in Howey in the Hills(just off I-4). to really get in the orange area go south on HWY 27 to the Lake Wales, Frostproof, Avon Park area.....hundreds of hives sitting in eye view of Highway. Rick

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very cool, I am going to try to find some of those locations- I would especially like to see queen breeders (I have never seen one up close)... Thanks, DJ

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
assuming they don't mind visitors? Is that rude to ask to look around? (assuming they aren't busy)

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I was in Fl last week and met one BK in Orlando.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Anything from Ft. Lauderdale south to Key West? I'll be there the last week in March, but my understanding is that there isn't any beekeeping that far south.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
drjckb sezs:
I am coming to visit Florida this weekend..

tecumseh adds:
in my younger days (I graduated from HS at Plant City) I would have said to start at Lakeland and then go the old highway (hyw 92?) east towards orlando. several operation of some size right on the road. even in the old days I was never quite certain where the queen rearing nucs were distributed. but my current quess??? now would be the pine woods area that lies just north of the orange growing strip (central florida-orlando to tampa).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi tecumseh,

We are taking my niece and going to Plant City today for some strawberry shortcake, I am excited... just getting ready to start the day (it sure is nice having the sun out and temps about 20 at 8 am)

DJ

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Get your butt to Dixie Crossroads in Titusville for sure. The absolute best shrimp on the planet. They have their own fishing boats.

Titusville is only 30 minutes or so from Orlando on the Beeline expressway.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
drjckb adds:
We are taking my niece and going to Plant City today for some strawberry shortcake

tecumseh licks his lips and sezs:
makes my mouth water. if you acquired it off old hwy 92 just west of plant city then you were only a stones throw away from my old home. they use to have a great strawberry festival in plant city about this time of year.

enjoy the weather....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts