Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am doing a Hogan Style trapout that has gone anything but smoothly. I introduced brood about 20 days ago without the one way funnel activated, in other words, they had complete access to their old hive in the tree. They promptly made queen cells, lol. I let the queen cells develop and pulled bees over the next couple of weeks and removed the frame with the queen cells just before the queens were scheduled to hatch and added new brood to the trapout to continue to anchor the bees in the trapout.

The trapout is about done and I plan to pull the old brood from the trapout this weekend but they have made queen cells again. The virgin queen I have with the bees from this trapout are in a hive body where I am planning on adding the brood from the trapout with the new queen cells they made for the second time. The question, will the bees/queen, destroy the new queen cells when I add them or will they raise new queens and swarm or even kill the existing virgin or will they do some other odd something I haven't considered?

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you introduce the bees you already have with a virgin queen and then add more cells, the virgin queen is going to tear them down or kill them. You'd be better off taking the additional cells and putting them in another Nuc with some brood and worker bees and starting another Nuc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts