Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bee math says i should have a nearly hatched or a virgin running around one of my hives.

I took a look today and I think i saw a newly hatched queen. My doubt is that she is just a tic larger and had a larger thorax than the workers that were in the area. I watched her for a minute or so, and i didn't see any interaction between her any other bees. She was just running in circles.

So is a virgin queen just slightly larger than the adult workers?

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
191 Posts
Steve- Yes that is correct, an they do exactly what you described. She needs to check out all her turf.
Be patient it might take another 2wks before she lays, the first time I didn't and paid the price. Good luck
with HER.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Just a little observation I made recently that may help. I had a cell I grafted and put into a 5 frame nuc. I checked it and saw a disappointing small size queen. I had more cells getting ready so I let her be. I looked again a week later and she was a very respectable size. I was amazed at the transformation. They are always smaller prior to breeding but this one gained a lot of length and girth. Much more than previous observations.
Laying wall to wall too which is what really matters

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts