Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked my nucs for the first time today. The seller had recommended waiting ten days to allow for queen acceptance and release from cage. All queens were marked. The first nuc had no marked queen, no eggs or larvae, no queen in cage, and finally, on the tenth frame I looked at, what appears to be a small queen. She is unmarked, longer abdomen than the workers, and definitely not laying. I assume she was on a frame when the nuc was made 15 days ago. I didn't check the bottom board for the marked queen's body, but definitely no marked queen and only capped brood left. I'm thinking this queen should be laying by now if mated. Possibly, she missed her mating window while shut in nuc for transport and holding? Or perhaps in my area not enough drones? Should I give her more time or order a replacement? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
If it was me, I'd leave the nuc alone for two weeks, as virgin queens are shy and don't like disturbances in the hive/nuc. If she's a virgin, you should see eggs in two weeks. Good luck!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ray. Michael, good point. I hadn't really thought of it that way. Club members had access to "nucs" made from splits of hives back from almonds with CA queens. They had nice full frames of capped brood and plenty of bees, but a caged queen. Lauri's overwintered "local" (2 hours away) nucs for double the price may have been a better buy after all.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up> I was told last night by the seller, sold out, no replacements. I was provided with a live marked queen in a cage at time of purchase, a replacement queen (also from CA) would be $50.00. Feeling a little disappointed. :( Coming out of my second winter with one hive that went queenless as it was building and seems to have failed to replace her, and now a virgin led "nuc". Think of all of the experience I'm getting. It seems early here to rob another hive of brood. I only have two other overwintered hives, and the other three newly purchased splits don't have much either; eggs and uncapped larvae. I could donate a frame from one of those for another attempt at emergency cells, but at what cost to the donor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts