Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a vinyard that is close by and I've never seen any hives near it. I was wondering if it would be a good place to put some hives this coming spring. Anyone have any idea? I've got no idea if they would even consider it, but I wanted some input before I went and asked.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Bees do not work grapes, which are wind pollinated. If the vineyard has a "mow strip" between vines, these produce some spring (weed) forage. Bee's forage over multiple kilometers, so the countryside resources is as important as the local. There is a time/energy/bee loss cost to forcing bees to travel even a kilometer for the first forage. Many vineyards are heavily treated with fungicides and insecticides. Bees are sometimes implicated in feeding on overripe or windfall grapes during the fall dearth, but these grapes are either opened by yellow jackets (which will bore through the skin, or the grapes split naturally).

In general, vineyards are poor choices, because they are not a forage source and present chemical risks. They are generally heavily protected from animals and human intruders, so if you live in bear country, that 's a plus.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to keep bees in a vineyard. They did great. The grapes were planted in blocks and between those and in the grape fields themselves were loaded with white clover. We mowed everything once or twice a week. The constant renewal gave me blooms for months. We did have to spray fungicide bit rarely insecticide. Of course, as an employee I was able to my monitor and influence the spray schedule. Those bees did great though.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have some hives by blackberry fields and as stated I think the dandelions in the spring and clover in the summer do more than the 2 weeks of heavy flow (that the land owner brings in truckloads of hives for). Grapes will give you nothing except low grade pollen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts