Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in a heat wave here with no rain and despite the fact that I'm keeping the bees' usual watering holes full, they have started drinking from the chicken waterer! problem is, I supplement the chicken's drinking water with vinegar. Is there any way that might harm the bees?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I guess the vinegar aint as bad as my bees flying over their water hole and going over and drinking out of 4 old used rubber tires that has old water and leaves inside! They must like it so it must be alright since they know better then we do!!

Now come to think of it since Sebee mentioned about mixing vinegar in the syrup, i read a thread not too long back someone wanting to know how they could keep their syrup feed from going bad and the one reply had mentioned using vinegar..I forgot about that until just now!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ad vinegar to the syrup I feed the bees, it seems to prevent the syrup from getting moldy.

The bees certainly don't mind the vinegar, in fact, it almost seems as though they prefer it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If vinegar bothers you do not place your hives near a livestock lagoon!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone. I know my girls love the filthiest water they can find, usually preferring mudholes in the compost heap, but the acid aspect of vinegar had me worried. Glad to hear I needn't fret.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts