Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice video. Anyone catch the bee with the mite on it at 0:20?
Caught me! We have mites. :eek::
Looks like it's under control, but saw a few with them on them. I just combined a week ago, inspected today. Should I douce them with powdered sugar for good measure?

·
Registered
87 Posts
It has been my experience that if you actually see mites during your inspection you have a problem. I would do a sugar roll or alcohol wash so you really know your mite levels. I was too laxed about my mite levels last fall and I'm paying for it now; my hives made the winter but now things aren't looking so great.

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
The video didn't get the next bit, where after unloading, the bee rams the pollen down hard with it's head. Might be because the comb was flat not vertical so the bee didn't bother.

Nice video, never seen this caught on video before.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The video didn't get the next bit, where after unloading, the bee rams the pollen down hard with it's head. Might be because the comb was flat not vertical so the bee didn't bother.
I was wondering what was going to happen next. I also think because I was holding the frame, that was not the case. What did happen just after that, was that bee walked away and another bee started shoving the pollen in. Thanks for the info, wanted to know if that was the real series of events, since I interrupted it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts