Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a video of what I believe is robbing at one of my hives. However I dont see any deads, little if any wax fragments at the opening, and rarely any fighting. Inside the hive, above the second hive body, everything is calm, and filled with bees. I am resisting the desire to open the hive bodies for now. This video was taken 36 hours after I noticed the robbing activity.

My assessment is that robbing is now slowing, and that the only thing I can do is continue to use the robber screen, and keep the entrance opening reduced. You can see foragers walking around the fence, and entering the small opening. I don't know if the whole rear legs forward/back is something I can see.

Cheers from NE Texas

https://youtu.be/UT3-ykXCN9U

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
What I see in your vid is an orientation flight. If the behavior was the same, 36 hours previous, I don't think your hive was being robbed. J

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I'll agree with Fivej. The video shows normal orientation flights. While there is a flury of activty, no bees are being challanged by the guard bees. Also note that the bees know to use the upper side of the robbing screen. That is because they came out of the hive that way. Robbers would be bunched up around the bottom half of the screen, trying to figure out how to get in.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looks like a normal day in the apiary to me, maybe a little confusion with the new screen, still pretty calm.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
For anyone who hasn't seen robbing (yet), here are a couple of photographs of this event (sorry they're static pictures, you'll need to imagine the frantic activity). The first shows robbing building-up, and - by virtue of the sheer numbers involved - a few robbers were 'accidently' making it over the screen and gaining access into the nucleus hive:

... so I decided to add a temporary closure to the top opening, allowing just the smallest entrance at top left. (The entrance to the nuc box is bottom right):

This strategy worked fine - as it always does - and this attempt at mass robbing subsided in about 90 minutes, being replaced by just the odd half a dozen 'robber scouts' who continued for several days to try and penetrate the screen at bottom right - but without success ...
LJ

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
OP did you just add that robber screen? Looks to me like they are just trying to find the way in. Also it looks wide. those vertical pieces of wood should be touching the hive so the only place in is from the top over the screen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts