Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a weak hive that I combined 8 days ago. I combined because they were so few in number, and I felt the queen wasn't laying much as a result of such a low population. I saw good brood pattern when I did the weekly checkup.

I have only seen still photos of how attendants really encircle the queen. I don't know if this is what I'm seeing here. She seems to really forge through there. Please share your insight.

http://s84.photobucket.com/user/jamiedam_de/media/MVI_5562.mp4.html

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
Nice video.

That's pretty normal behaviour when the hive is open, often the queen if she can will look for a big mass of bees to hide in.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yep pretty normal looking to me. Mine do the same thing when the hive is open. That's when i actually do see the queens. Most of the time it's like Oldtimer says, they find a mass of bees to hide in till i can't see them. But as long as the pattern is good, there are eggs and larva, i'm happy.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I hardly ever see a queen who is being attended to, when I happen to spot a queen. I hardly ever see a queen w/ her tail in a cell either. Usually she is moving away from where I am looking. So, I think what you see in the video is typical and no worry needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts