Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference between hairy&common vetch the stores around here are selling the common vetch but said they will sell the hairy vetch this fall.Also is common vetch good bee forage? :D

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I made the bad mistake of planting hairy vetch as a winter cover. It's extremely invasive and now I can't get rid of the darn stuff. To add insult to injury I've never seen my girls work it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My bees are actively working a 15 acre of Hairy Vetch, both morning and afternoon. There is a possibility that other nectar flows are limited in the area due to the past Fall and this Spring drought we are experiencing.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Hairy vetch is one of the best things you can do for the soil as well. It is a great green manure crop. Cut it short in the summertime and it should largely burn out. It will freely reseed, and I love it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What about crown vetch? it is everywhere around here but i've never seen honeybees on it. Bumble bees, yes but not honey bees. Any idea if they work it? I think the flowers are too deep for them.
Bill

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've spoken with several old time beeks in our area who swear by crown vetch as forage when clover or other sources aren't available. Don't have any personal experience though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts