Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i have a queenless hive with no brood and maybe a frame or two of bees. I have stolen their comb and stores except for 4 frames, and given them to other hives. I see no caps or eggs, just a bunch of bees roaming around and working. I have access to a virgin queen, but am wondering if i should try to recover these bees or if i should just let them die out? I am currently transitioning to all medium frames and have no medium frames with brood to give them. So, letting them make their own queen isn't an option. What are the fewest number of bees that can make it if a virgin queen is introduced? Can just a few hundred restart a hive? Is it worth trying or should i split a healthier hive with that same queen? What are my options here?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would combine them the the other strong hive. Take and do a paper combine. Once they combine with the other one than you can take the other frames back out. I wouldn't try with a vergin queen. It seems like you may not know how long they have been queen less but I would use the extra bees to make my hive stronger. Once that one gets bigger I would split and make another hive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts