Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a small-time hobbyist in western NJ keeping bees for 8-10 yrs. This year has been disappointing in terms of both honey and pollen build-up. Of my hives, one has been busting it with population, one is so-so, and the last one hasn't been queen right for a few weeks--I'll be fixing that this week. I haven't re-queened for 2-3 years.

Is anyone else in the area seeing poor build-up? In NJ, the summer has seen plenty of rain, and the nectar flow should have been very good, yet... So I'm thinking I'm going to re-queen all three hives and see what happens, with a view toward feeding like crazy once the weather starts to turn. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,925 Posts
low build up, can be short lifespans, have you done a mite count lately?
some areas have dearth can try to feed a bit.
if the queen was 3 yeas old she can be slowley laying fewer eggs, normally they would replace her so with out the dot the color of when you got her it is hard to tell.

try to split for the one busting it next spring .

GG

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
It was a decent spring but July and August saw the bees just holding their own. Too dry here. Hoping for a good fall. I'd go with Gray Goose and look for a different answer if your weather has been good. Old queens, mites, something else.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had seen this out west. Very dry, very arid. Weather a total mess all over the place with rapid up swings and down swings.

So its a good time to help the bees. I would have preferred to not help them and let them do it on their own. But I'd rather have live healthy bees than dead or sick ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had an average or slightly under average honey production this year. It seems that the dearth lasted a bit longer than normal, it only broke around here about a week ago. Finally seeing good amounts of pollen and nectar coming in now off of Japanese knotweed and goldenrod, presumably.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts