Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1 1/2 month colony that came from a nuc from the local queen rearer with 5 full bars of a good mix of honey, brood & nectar but those stores have been used. They now have filled about 9 bars total, 6-7 of those are nearly solid brood comb. I saw no capped honey (there could have been some but I couldn't see it) & the same for nectar. & 1 comb of mostly pollen. There is a queen & she robust & busy. I saw only one drone in the hive, no mites, no pests to speak of. I do have a supercedure cup that is now sealed. I have about double the amount of bees I started with so the queen is doing her job but what is going on with the honey?!!! I am not planning on taking any until next spring (if there is any), that is not my goal, I want them to get through the winter first!

I am afraid they are going to go into the winter with very little food stores! Should I be concerned with the supercedure cup this late in the season?

Any thoughts, ideas of what is going on? Anything I should be doing? I am a first year beek but I would prefer to keep my approach as natural & unobtrusive as possible.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,124 Posts
They're superceding their queen, count yourself lucky that the old queen hasn't been axed already.

Stay out of the hive for a bit and see how it goes. It does seem odd that there isn't any capped honey, are you in a dearth?

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
You didn't mention feeding 1:1, did you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts