Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I move the top split (above the double screen board) with the new queen to the position of the parent hive and take the parent hive away in Mid morning and expect the foragers to return to the split happily and not attack new queen?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Can I move the top split (above the double screen board) with the new queen to the position of the parent hive and take the parent hive away in Mid morning and expect the foragers to return to the split happily and not attack new queen?
Which entrance on the top box is presently being used? According to snelgroves experience the bees are closely related and will share a lot of the same hive smells but if you want to be sure of a trouble free combine you can be a bit creative.

The foragers from the removed bottom box will be returning to the bottom front entrance. The upper box bees will be oriented to which ever door they were using AND at that elevation.

I would suggest setting an extra hive body on the bottom board with some sort of frames, place newspaper across the top with a few slits and place the upper box on top of it with a temporary entrance same orientation as they now have. After the bees work through the paper you can get rid of one box and return to your preferred entrance.

If you want bees to forget an entrance it helps to smear something powerfully smelly around their old entrance. Vicks Vapor Rub or one of the arthritis rubs like Infra Rub works wonders.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts