Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to vent a langstroth hive for winter? I live in Alberta. How many mite strips should I use on the brood box? When should I start mite treatment? When should I add the antibiotic fumagel?
Thank you people.
Barry

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Best way to vent is a small bottom entrance of 3/4 inch wide by 3/8 inch high, notch up. On top a 2 1/2 inch feed shim with a 3/4 round hole. Icing on the cake is a 5 inch deep quilt box filled with pet bedding shavings. Provide some ventilation above the shavings via screened end holes near top of vent box.

Directions for Apivar are on the package. One strip per five deep frames of bees inserted in the brood nest , so often 4 strips required in the fall for two deep 10 frame brood boxes

Apivar needs to be on for 42 days so Sept 1 is about latest one can put them on so as to be able to remove them before cold weather. Need to remove all honey frames prior to Apivar.

Fumigillan is fed with syrup in Sept. I don't think Fumigillan is available as manufacturer stopped making it. Efforts are being made to find a source. Confirm with Beemaid Store.

Fumigillan only protects against Nosema apis and not Nosema ceranae. cerane is considered more of a problem than apis. I also have concerns about harmful effects of fumigillan on the bee guts. I personally have not used fumigillan in some 7 years and have not had any Nosema issue. The quilt box results in a pretty dry hive interior and the dryness mitigates Nosema.

Be sure to insulate the exterior well and more insulation on the top if you do not go with quilt boxes. I use 2 inches of Styrofoam with a black lumber wrap on the exterior. Move hives together if you have a number so bees share heat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts