Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 1st year beek, and I'm trying to decide the best way to ventilate my little darlings. I've read several past posts here and I'm curious about two of the ways mentioned. Thinking about drilling a hole in my med. supers and plugging with corks as needed. If I do this, do I need to worry about mice accessing the hole? Also, have read that some of you just slide your boxes back 1/4 to 1/2 in., but what about when it rains? Could this be a problem? Would it be better to slide one box "over" the top of the other 1/4 to 1/2 in.? Thanks in advance for any sage advice!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't like to slide the boxes as that will allow rain in possible...not that they would be hurt by that. I use migratory covers and just crack one end of the top with a shim for doors or I slip a screw in between the top and the super.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My opinion only: Before I'd ever drill holes into my supers I would just raise up the telescoping cover with a stick or something similar. If your inner cover doesn't have a hole in it you might prop up the inner cover with a stick. Sliding the boxes backward or forward will create an opening that rain may enter but in theory it would just run down the inside of the boxes and not necessarily soak the frames. I don't do that either.

If you were to drill holes then you might cover with 1/4" hardware cloth to allow bees to come and go but keep mice out.

Pete0
Bena, VA

·
Registered
302 Posts
I do the same as Pete, I just shim up the back of the telecoping cover about 1/4" above the inner cover. I use scrap from the wood shop but sticks work well too, lot of times I lose the shims and just use a stick. I also do this all winter maybe lowering to 1/8 to help keep out the condensation, has worked for me anyway. If you decide to drill the boxes I would use screen to keep out mice and moths, but the bees sometimes will plug the screen too? I like the shim / stick method, I like stuff simple and fast if possible. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Just a question...do you use a SBB (screen bottom board)? And are you worried about ventilation now or over the winter??

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am going to be trying out this product for ventillation: www.beecoolventilators.com.

I'll be installing them soon - once I get my new hives past the sugar water sucking phase. Hope that they work - their website seems to indicate folks have been happy with them in all seasons.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Ventilation is a very regional subject. Here on the coast of Maine we get lots of fog. Every hive I've used a SBB with has had problems - but 7/8" auger holes between the hand grip and upper corner of the box seem to work well. For winter I wrap and use a homosote board with a channel in it that matches up with the notch on the inner cover.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have a SBB, and I'm just concerned about the heat right now. I'm in NE Ohio where it has been in the mid-80s with quite a bit of humidity this week.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You know you have a ventilation problem when they decide to camp out on the front of the hive all night. :rolleyes:

One of my hives had significant bearding (couldn't see the color of the boxes of one deep and three mediums) and they were plastered on the front. I used popsicle sticks to ventilate, placing them between the upper supers, between the inner cover and top super, and between the inner and outer covers. Nothing that a bee could get through, just enough to let some air in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My bees aren't quite that hot! I like the idea of popsicle sticks. I put two shims on each side of the inner cover opening to prop up the telescoping cover a bit. I also went ahead and drilled a ventilation hole in my second hive box, putting 1/4 inch hardware cloth over the opening on the inside of the box. They are starting to use it as an entrance, but it should keep unwanted pests out. You don't have a problem with stability using the popsicle sticks? How many do you use? And where do you place them? Thanks for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts