Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeding my six hives with the mason jar top feeders over the inner cover hole. My inner covers have the small (2 x 1/4?) grooves on all four sides for ventilation, but I currently have those grooves pointing up to prevent access to the hive and robbing. Two of my stronger hives have bees boiling out of the fully opened entrance, and I am assuming it is because of the heat. Can I flip the inner cover over so those grooves are providing ventilation without worrying about robbing? Or should I leave well enough alone. These two particular hives have one full deep and the second deeps are about 5 frames drawn.

Thanks blueline

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
When you say boiling out. Do you mean there are a ton of bees boiling out and flying off or hanging out on the landing board and up on the hive. (bearding)

I don’t use inner covers. I use a sbb and during the flow if they need additional venting I just prop the top a little with a stick.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Hambone.....All of the above actually. There are a lot of bees hanging out on the landing board and bearding up the front of the hive. Some exit the hive and fly off, and some are hovering in front of the hive like they are orientating. I don't think they are preparing to swarm as I was in the hive 2 days ago and saw no queen cells, and I don't see any fighting going on so it doesn't seem like robbing going on. I also have screned bottom boards fully open and the temp is about 88 and very humid.

Blueline

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
One thing you can do for venting is slide the top super back a little. Like 1/2” or so. If you slide it back right it will create a small gap in the front but the back will still be closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts