Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running screened bottom boards with the slide ins under to close them up. When is the proper time to pull out the slide ins for more ventilation? I have read on here that some people leave theirs open year round but that makes me somewhat uncomfortable during winter weather. Were having a pretty decent spring here with pretty warm days now. We had a cold snap last night dipping down to 32 but warming nicely in the day. I was thinking when night temps stay above 45 or 50 it should be time to pull the panels and open up the bottoms? Any comments or advice........ Thanks Mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll pull them out tomorrow. Do you keep yours open all winter?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mike, I ran 8 hives through the winter. 4 with the slide in and 4 without, all of them made it just fine. I did loose one in the spring had nothing to do with SBB's.

Omer

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thanks, I'll pull them out tomorrow. Do you keep yours open all winter?
Mike im gonna use my bottom board to monitor & evaluate any SHB issues and when oct/nov rolls around and the temp in "ky" is starting to stay below 40-45 degrees, then thats when im gonna put my screen bottom board in for the winter! Each person does things differently! Im gonna use the bottom board for its original design (To monitor mites and keep the ladies warm and to ventilate the hive) Right now is a good time to take it out mike cause you want to keep the hive ventilated! Good luck and keep me posted!

P.S.-I have a thread asking anyone from KY or anywhere else to start a ky social group here on Beesource! I looked and didnt see no group for ky. It would be a great idea to communicate with others in ky since we could all benefit and more knowledge never hurts!...Have a nice day!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Honeykeeper and Apple farner, if you get the club going count me in, I like having advice and sharing ideas for our area, its different for every area.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
A new colony in chilly spring weather is desperatly trying to keep it's brood warm and generate enough heat to draw wax (which requires heat). I would not remove the tray until I see bees bearding from the heat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mike, I saw your post and left them in. They are drawing wax really good right now which is what I need the worst. Im in no rush to pull them out, just want to do what is best for the bees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts