Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the screened bottoms. Would it be right to assume that they should be left wide open in hot weather, 75+f, and completley closed in cold weather, 40-f, and If possible be partially closed depending on the weather? I'm thinking about making stands to do this if it will help.

Small but right is better than big and messy!!!

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
As in a lot of beekeeping and certainly regarding screened bottom boards, you'll find lot's of different ideas, thoughts and opinions. Some of us keep screened bottom boards (SBB's) open all the time, no matter what the weather or conditions. Others close to block out cold winds. Some don't use them at all. Here, mine stay open all the time except for hives that limped into the winter. I believe windbreaks are important and I provide them where I can. In my opinion, there's certainly no harm in closing off the bottom of a hive during inclement weather periods so long as you have ample circulation of air through the hive to help reduce condensation.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I keep mine wide open year round except for the few days each year when I do mite counts and I'm somewhat north of you.
If I read your first post on this board correctly, you said you were getting your first two hives this spring { 2009 }?

Just wondering ?
PCM

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So all I need to do is use my plastic card board, varroa mite detector, to close up some or all of the bottom when the north wind is really howling, Huh?I also plan on using the top vented super from Kelley under my inner cover in the summer, and on top of the inner cover in the winter unless using MCM. What do you think?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I keep mine open year around except when I do a mite count re queen and when the winter air becomes very cold and very dry like last week when in western wa hit 0 deg f and rivers were freezing I closed it out side of that nope i leave it open.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My entrances are reduced to a screened two inch opening so the bottom plastic piece (sbb) is slid to open a one inch opening on the front's bottom. Since the inner cover front rt. corner is lifted about a 1/4" the humidity caused by the bees is expelled by the air current starting from the bottom up through the top front slot (heat rises). Hives are wrapped. Seems to have worked well these past 6 years, no dead hives in the spring.
OMTCW

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
I leave mine open all year around. I do have a small upper entrance/vent as well. I'm only going into in my 5th year and I've been steadily increasing my numbers via splits, swarms, trap outs and home grown nucs. I did have my first hive die last year though and I unfortunately didn't find a reason.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Well, I keep mine closed all year except when the weather starts getting hot and they start using foragers to help cool the hive. I don't have any real proof but it seemed like the hives that were closed started brooding up faster and foragers started leaving the hive earlier (I presumed since they weren't needed to warm brood as long).

So it sounds like anything probably works. I think that top ventilation is more important than the bottom board.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Now we have to be weather men/women too!!!

Here in the south, ventillation is really important during the summer. I have to believe that provided that you have good top venting, that by adjusting the bottom flow, depending on the weather is a good idea.

With winds AND below freezing temps, I close my bottom vents to maintain hive temps and hopefully prevent frozen condensation from dripping down. When you know the temps are going to rise above the mid-50s, I let them breathe - kinda like whether you're going to crank up the wood stove or not.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
way down south here I keep my SBB's open all year. Some of the lids we shimmed for top ventilation, most are not. We did not see a noticable difference in venting the tops with the bottoms always open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts