Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering placing ventilation holes in my hive boxes for both extra access and ventilation. (7/8" holes with corks to close when necessary) Where should these be located? Top, bottom, middle, front, rear, side?

Also, is there concern that rain may blow in the openings causing moisture problems?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Rain does blow in sometimes. The bees seem to deal with it ok.

Make sure you have a supply of corks and drill the holes to fit. It's hard to find exactly the size cork you want. It's easy to find exactly the size drill bit you want.

I prefer not to drill holes in them, myself, but Bjorn has a system. They ALL have holes and he has plenty of corks. I always find that I have a box with a hole in it when I don't want one and nothing handy to stop the hole.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Getting corks is easy and they are dirt cheap. Look in any winemaking supply catalog, shop, website for where to get them. You can get corks that are anywhere from less than a 1/4" to several inches in diameter, both tapered and cylindrical.

------------------
Scot Mc Pherson
Foundationless Small Cell Top Bar Hives
BeeWiki: <A HREF="http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/" TARGET=_blank>
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/</A>
Pics:
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have good supply of corks. Thats' how I determined 7/8". I bought corks and picked a bit to fit.

Now how about the location? Does location affect how or if they will use the opening for an entrance? Seems like a side would make most sense as there's room to slide frames away from it. Or did that just answer my own question?

Hayseed

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Any entrance will have guard bees. If you put all entrances in the front then the back is safer to approach. If you put them on the side then the gaurd bees may see you approaching and raise the alarm.

I would definitly put them on the front.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I put my holes directly below the hand hold on the front of the hive. Rather than cork, I use dried corn cob ends to plug them. Bees seem to like them alot, espcially during flow periods.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ummm I know this is an old post but, if you put the holes directly below the handle then oyu have just invented a great way to get stung when you go to lift the super off of the hive.

Put it off to the side of the handle a little. Everyone of my supers has holes in it. I used to cover them with propolis in the winter but the bees just kept opening them up sooo...

If your a glove wearer I guess it doens't make a difference though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
...or dispense with the drilling and just slide the 2nd or 3rd box back to leave a 1/4" opening across the front of the hive. You can leave them like that all season. The bees will use the gap as an extra entrance.
Any rain getting in is inconsequential.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got all my holes about 1inch below the curved end of the hand hold (all brood boxes and medium supers). Haven't been stung in the hand yet (as a result of lifting), although I've only been at it about a year.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would not drill, cut, or mutualte any of my hives! I instead would go up 3 suppers shift the fourth one backwards about 1/4 - 1/2 inch. This I have found out works real well for keeping the hives ventilated and when it starts to get cold you can shift it back to the proper spot. This meathod also serves real well for an additional area for the field bees to come home.
Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts