Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious.. are there different strengths of venom between breeds - say russian, italian or others?
I googled it and got the apitherapy pages, but no breakdown on types of bees and potency.
Thanks!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
There is no demonstrated difference except that African/Africanized is slightly less. You will not feel any difference. Trust me we have them in Florida and I go to Honduras every year to work with the people there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've noticed my Russian (mixed--the queen was open bred) bees have a thick black stinger and tend to burn a little more initially, while my Italian mutts have a very thin stinger that looks like a splinter, and don't hurt a lot, but I react more to them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had bee stings that hurt some and others that hurt alot and swelled much more. I don't know but I always attributed that to the bees accuracy, depth of penetraction and angle of attack, not necessarily the venom potency.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
IMO /experience,,,it has alot to do with the type tissue you get stung in,,how much venom is actually injected. Soft tissue, such as tri-ceps, and joint areas seem to swell more and last longer than say leg or calf. They all hurt the same to me:D

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
193 Posts
The ones in the head hurt the most. They proved it today. The middle of the back hurt the least. First time for Wrangler Pants, they are not thick enough. My ankles don't hurt anymore.(old age) I still had fun. Can't wait for next weekend. Tony

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have noticed that stings in the later part of the day or on days with inclement weather, the bee stings are worse. For me, those are the ones that go right through the suit and swell up. The stings in the morning or during the afternoon seem slight in comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts